There are different types of siding to choose from, which can make selecting the right one confusing. If there was only one type, then the process would be easier. Fortunately, there isn’t just one type so a homeowner can choose what works for them. There are different degrees of durability, architectural styling, maintenance levels, and maintenance.
So how do you decide which type of siding is best for you?
Know Your Types
Know the different types of siding. You have:
- Vinyl siding – This is the most common type and it looks very appealing. The maintenance required is minimal and it doesn’t fade. When buying, you should consider the thickness, durability, and what kind of style you want. You can choose vinyl siding that looks like shakes or shingles. Vinyl siding can also be vertical or horizontal. There are also many colors to choose from.
- Metal Siding – Metal siding has become a popular choice and is available in many colors. Installation is fast and not much maintenance is needed. This siding is also more environmentally friendly and resistant to serious weather.
- Fiber cement – If you want the look of wood without the cost or maintenance, fiber cement is a great choice. There are different textures, styles, and colors. Fiber cement is also resistant to termites, non-combustible, and the warranties are typically very long.
Know Your Preferences
After reviewing the types of siding that are available to you, it is best to know what you prefer. Ask yourself:
- Do I want low maintenance?
- Is the appearance of wood important to me?
- Do I want vertical or horizontal?
- What colors do I want?
- What do I want to pay in installation costs (i.e. fiber cement is more difficult to install than vinyl)?
- How much am I willing to pay?
- What styling is a reflection of me?
- How durable do I need my siding to be?
You may also want to ask your siding installer how easy each type of siding is to repair. If damage would occur, especially in an area that can experience extreme weather, you may want to know if repair can be done easily. Every siding type is different. Some types can be easily repaired, but others have to be replaced.
Siding that Reflects You
In the end, the right choice is the siding that is a reflection of your style and your home’s architecture. If you don’t know what you want, your siding installer can help you by showing you options and helping narrow it down based on your requirements.